2.25.2007

The Bad Boy II: Hillman's Horror... or ...

Well, another weekend lost to fun in the snow. The Hancocks on Saturday (see previous post) and Sunday spent the day w/ my friend Brian at Craftsbury Nordic Center for a sunny day on groomed trails. But that's just a prelude to next weekend - the dreaded March 3/4 excursion up Washington. As tMail might say, "I hear it calling my name...". Indeed, from Danville the eastern horizon consists of the Presidentials, The Twins, Garfield, Lafayette and Franconia Ridge, Cannon and Moosilauke. On a clear day like today, all the details are visible and they seem to form little faces, mouthing the words "climb me....climb me...".

So what stands in our way? Nothing but logistics. We have some weather coming through over the next 4 days, enough to define what the weekend plans might be, so we'll leave our options open.

UPDATE 2/26/07: [.... taunting...]

UPDATE 3/1/07: I took out the old pics and replaced them w/ this more relevant one, to remind us what snow looks like. Chances are we'll see some of this white stuff this weekend.

UPDATE 4/3/07: tMail popped his cherry!

32 comments:

  1. February 3rd, 2007 the Bad Boy sent me packing...well I am FUCKING BACK...and this time it is personal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here it is, the one thing in the Whites I have been looking forward to since my last can of Spam and I'm on the shelf like a over used merkin.

    I'll keep you posted on my health but it doesn't feel good now. I don't want to get T-Mail's juices going like this past weekend and committ and bail all in one fell swoop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PM - if the weather forecast is lame, we may postpone anyway. what the hell did you contract? ebola of the ass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another day Bad Boy toying with me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sound like the weather may steer clear and if so, what is the consensus? climbing on sat or on sun? we camping or are we looking into overnight accomodations. if so, it's school vacation this week in NH so Sat night rooms may be hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One option is crashing at my place in danville or at maddog's. i live about an hour north of Lincoln, NH and about 1:45 from Pinkham Notch.

    Other options? Hiker's Paradise?

    ReplyDelete
  7. do we want to wait for the weather to develop a little more and then decide saturday or sunday?

    it is easier for me to get up there on saturday but i can always leave work early on friday and get up to danville, vt...

    just let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. one thing i need to check something at work...i will post a update today during working hours...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, Wednesday is looking like the day to beat. Anyone for a last minute jaunt up the Bad Boy? PM - how's the intestine? According to the MWO, friday is the day for the next 'weather' incident. That'll cut it close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. muthaz i can't do wednesday...i think we are going to be good this weekend and it looks like i will have to come up saturday for a sunday hike...looking at some weather forecasts (NOAA) there is going to be some percipitation this weekend but temperatures are looking stable. i would like to think the weather will be better than what we had on Bad Boy I...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just as well. I think I'm heading up to Jay tomorrow for some sunny-day ski action.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're supposed to have a 'significant snow event' ending friday night. From the Gorham, NH Special Weather Statement issued at 3:38:

    THE PRECIPITATION WILL START AS SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT...BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ENOUGH WARM AIR WILL WORK IN ALONG OR NEAR THE COAST TO CHANGE THE SNOW TO SLEET OR RAIN DURING THE DAY ON FRIDAY.
    STILL...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF SIX INCHES OR MORE WILL BE POSSIBLE BEFORE ANY CHANGEOVER OCCURS. FURTHER INLAND...WHERE THE PRECIPITATION WILL REMAIN AS SNOW...HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE. ANY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO END FRIDAY NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my outlook remains "nalgene half full"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa's lobbying for me to go with her to bring junior to meet his maternal grandma for the first time. This should have minimal impact if we are planning for a Sunday assault and I'll spend Sat night here with it only being a 2/2.5 hr drive to Pinkham.

    Given the forecast I doubt Hillman's will be cooperating but I'm in no rush to decide anything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. check this out found it on Yahoo

    http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070227/480/con10702271832;_ylt=AtgFMFP4EvvZVVi1mFfk2fQDW7oF

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/extreme_weather_workplace;_ylt=AvjAhOem7BRkF8LjlAdJ41gDW7oF

    ReplyDelete
  17. the forecast is looking like substantial snow, so to echo g-$$$'s comments above: we may have to make a last-minute decision about hillman's if it's looking sketchy in terms of human-triggered avi's. if we bag hillman's, anybody have a favorite route? an alternate hike (bamforth?) saving the bad boy for later? bamforth could be a killer, this time of year, w/ fresh snow. (don't worry tMail, we'll get to the bad boy.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am thinking lets see what happens after the dust settles and then decide from there...does that sound reasonable? Regardless we will be doing something...

    ReplyDelete
  19. fucking eh. i didn't get the memo.

    i'm tentative right now.

    so is it sunday, someday, somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darth Sith Mountain GhostFebruary 28, 2007 at 8:51 PM

    Climb me you fuckers....

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These 'anonymous' posts are annoying. Who wants me to disallow them?

    ReplyDelete
  23. from NOAA...for Friday forecast

    Friday: Periods of snow with areas of blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 26. Wind chill values between -7 and 3. Breezy, with a east wind 20 to 23 mph decreasing to between 11 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.

    i am still trying to be optimistic...

    sorry about the mountain ghost post that was me....but mountain ghost made me do it i swear...

    ReplyDelete
  24. that's okay, i just cried myself to sleep.... but then when they upped the snowfall estimates by freakin' doubling them, it made me happy again. Well, whatever we do, chances are it'll involve snowshoes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ... or x-c skis... or both. flats are a good way to learn

    ReplyDelete
  26. The reason I continue to have a positive outlook is there looks like the windchills and temps may not be that bad and I am fine with pushing through snow in snowshoes...I think it would be a quest Bad Boy via Lionhead through the snowfield...I know we could do it we will just have to wait and see...it would take longer but with temps and wind speed not like it was on Bad Boy I it is possible...and with a day after the storm Saturday maybe shit will get packed down by other daring soles...i am also probably insane but o well...

    ReplyDelete
  27. christ..what did i say? danno - it was me MD that ruffled the feathers?

    ReplyDelete
  28. tim, don't forget that we may have problems w/ visibility, and i doubt that there's going to be anything 'packed in' on sunday above lion's head, even if some daring souls went up saturday. i'd count on 'deep'.

    ReplyDelete
  29. anyone heard from the PM? I am sure he remembers packing out Lionhead Route after a storm. It was the trip that started it all with him and he popped his Bad Boy Cherry.

    Well I'm back on the fence again and maybe a last minute decision. If the storm is as bad as they're making out to be, my Sat activities may roll over onto Sunday. Unfortunately family oer fun.

    I'll stay tuned to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. new update 10-14 inches....

    PM is on the shelf this weekend talked to him earlier in the week....

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'll give you 10-14 inches...

    I'm on the shelf until I decide that my indoor power can translate into outdoor power.

    Is the big pimple the target for Sunday? That bitch owes me one or two or three.

    Anyway, I may be dusted off and ready for action. Fuck the virus.

    ReplyDelete