I won't bore you with what this event is (you can read about it here if you don't know). But I will bore you with some details:
- tMail, the MPM and I ran the marathon (33+ mi) and treadmill ran the 'half' (19+ mi)
- The mileage was upped to 33+ at the last minute to circumnavigate a new golf course.
- We all finished, and in better time than we expected - all under 9 hours.
- Treadmill kicked major ass, finishing 6th among women under 40.
- Race results are posted [Link].
- Amazingly, we all ended up finishing within a 20min window, and frequently ran together in pairs, all three or solo.
- All day today (Sunday, the day after), I've been having flashbacks of mud, water, rocks, woods, bugs and more mud. I keep revisiting parts of it in my mind.... different parts each time.
- g-$$$, l-$$$ and e-$$$ spent the weekend with us. l-$$$ cooked some much needed pizzas for saturday night (post race). The leftovers were consumed for breakfast. g-$$$, by some logistical miracle, kept showing up at spots along the route and offering great words of encouragement. Seeing his smiling face on a bridge overlooking a brook was a blessing!
- "I could eat Evan. I'd just walk up to him and say 'Hi...'." (tMail, at mile 24)
- "Treadmill's going to destroy this road." (MPM on a stretch of painful dirt road)
- "Actually, I could use some duct tape." (mz, trying to bandage his pinkie toe)
- "tMail, at mile 25 I'm going to be hunting you with a big black dildo." (mz, trying to invoke a spirit of competition, but only making everyone feel embarassed.)
- "F***ing c**k-s**ing mud f**k f**ker c**t mud sh*t f**k...". (everyone, at some point)
- "This is totally F***ing Retarded". (mz, climbing the power right-of-way after station #6 blueberry hill)
- "Don't be a F***ing Pussy***". (tMail to himself - the mental game in action!)
- "So basically what is left is the Franconia Ridge Traverse" (tMail, leaving the station #6, attempt to rationalize the fact that we only had 9 miles to go.)
- "Daniel [the race director] said it takes 90 minutes to get to the next Aid station we better get a F***ing move on it if we want to make the cut off...". G-$$$ adds "... get going you can do it!" We all panic and leave - not realizing we'd already made the cutoff.
- "What is so funny??" (MPM to tMail)
- "I don't know, I think I am losing it" (tMail to MPM)
- "I am afraid to sit down and put my socks on" (mz at Station 6)
- "That girl with the sign Free Sex, I should tell her I can't even get it up"
- "Your friend Dan is a crazy F***ing Bastard"
- "I am back from the dead"
- "Mutha, what IS thunder?" (tMail)
- "There's something REALLY retarded about doing this." (mz)
- "Fucking cramps..." (and in my head thinking "I shouldn't be getting passed by that fucking guy..") (PM)
- "I'm never doing this fucking race again. This is bullshit. Going over sharp rocks when your legs are wasted. I'm never doing this race again." (some old guy in river)
- "I kind of lost it there, I need to pull it together." (same old guy, 5 min later when exiting river)
- "How the fuck do we get down that? You want to try going down the bank a bit?" (mz)
- "Fuck it." (PM, replying to mz's question)
- "She's from Boston. I'm gonna' see her out sometime." (tMail, referring to 'Free Hugs' chick)
- "ugh, ahhhhh, ugh, huuuuuuuu, huuuuuu, huuuuu, huuuuu..." The old guy passing TM and PM grunting with each step... not sure how to spell that.
- "Only love
Can make it rain
The way the beach
Is kissed by the sea.
Love, Reign o'er me.
Love, Reign o'er me,
Rain on me.
Can bring the rain
That makes you yearn to the sky.
Can bring the rain..."
(PM singing (completely alone in the woods) upon the rain)
- "Fuckin'..." (mz, mostly when Evan was present!)
- "Did you hear me last night? I was pissing and then I woke up in the corner of the bathroom in the fetal position." (tMail)
- "I think I have another 10 miles in me" (mz, after finish)
Update: Video now on YouTube [Link]