It looks like the PM and I are staring at the maps. Naturally I've been on a kick to do new things and check out new trails. Sometimes there will be overlap, but here are a few trails for fun and frolic:
- Beaver Brook Trail up to Asquam Ridge (to Moosilauke) - features handholds and/or ladders I think.
- Davis Path to Mtns Crawford, Resolution & Stairs.
- Israel Ridge Path up to Edmands Col. (Up the Castellated Ridge, Down Israel Ridge?)
- Up Wildcat Ridge Trail to Carter Notch Hut, return to 2nd car at Hall's Ledge Trail by taking Wildcat River Trail south to Carter Notch Road, right on road a bit, then Hall's Ledge Trail back to Rte 16.
- Downes Brook Trail south to Kate Sleeper Trail, hit East/West Sleeper, return via Sabbaday Brook Trail (hitting South/Middle Tri and avoiding The Fool Killer).
- Sandwich Dome & Black Mountain (via Sandwich Mtn & Algonquin trails, return via Algonquin & Drake's Brook).
- Chocorua - any of it. The closest I've been is Wonalancet. Maybe up Champney Falls Tr, then across the Bee Line Tr., Lawrence Tr. and pick up the Oliverian Brook Trail in Paugus Pass?
It looks like trip #2 is the choice du jour. And for the icing on the proverbial cake, g-$$$ may be filling in for the long-lost tMail who will be taking off in a few days for the other side of the planet. The weather is looking fine, although it will likely be a chilly start to a bright, sunny day. The leaves are off most of the trees so the woods should be bright and the views tremendous with the clear, dry air. I can't wait.
[Update 11/2: Uh Oh]
Rain's a comin'. From the National Weather Service for Lincoln, NH:
AN INTENSE EXTROPICAL LOW WILL TRACK TO THE EAST OF CAPE COD
SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND MOVE INTO NOVA SCOTIA CANADA SATURDAY
EVENING. GUSTY WINDS AND RAIN ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY AFTERNOON.