12.29.2006

Jefferson and Adams, buh bye, you bitches


Well, we missed you guys. I'll let the PM weigh in on this, but I was really impressed by this day out. Sunny skies, winds dropping from 80mph down to the low 40's, temps rising from 0 to 10 degrees (3F at the car when we got back at around 6:30pm). We dragged our asses up and over the Cornice on the Castle Trail - a rocky cliff thing that would've made any sensible man turn back. The worst winds were on Adams.

We'll post pics and movies and such as soon as possible - I'm going to wait for the PM's pics to generate the website, but I'll tell you, there are a few beauties. We changed our exit strategy and took Lowe's path down in order to get into the trees by dark (the pic shown here is at sunset, 5:19pm, still above treeline on the Lowe's Path). It meant 9/10 mile trudge along/through a marsh and across a beaver dam to get back to the cars, but we made it.

We were above treeline for about 6 hours and every minute was a delight (except for the damage to our gear). I bent a pole and wore out my crampons (the holes in the hinge that the spring pin sits in). The PM busted a pole, busted a crampon, and busted a shoulder strap on his pack. Luckily we had duct tape, laces and straps so we got him fastened back together. I didn't eat my PB&J sandwich. It's now in the fridge.

More details to come.

7 comments:

  1. I kept the PM awake on the drive home as he gave me the blow by blow account...it sounded brutal but delightful...all at once.

    Chapeau to you dudes for a true winter feat!

    So do you hear the winter Presi Traverse calling your name yet????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear the bed calling my name but there also seems to be some slight voice telling me to "surf the web for gear"... I think it's a mountain cherub trying to guide me to the promised land!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PM...at the rate I am NOT using my gear, I should just sell it to you.

    Sigh, packing the bags for another non-active weekend. Maybe the weekend of the 7th/8th we can get something going.

    Happy New Year All!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly this was a time to re-evaluate the gear thang. On a trek like this it might pay to carry spare crampons, poles and packs. One pack for gear, another pack for spare gear. It would take two guys just for one guy to hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been surfing the web all morning for low cost pack mules... no luck yet. The importation cost from Argentina is prohibitive!

    Off to EMS in 20mins to see what I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so here's my account of the day in my own bootleg poetic form...

    A cold slow start
    A shitty river crossing
    A broken strap
    A narrow trail greets us

    Up, up and away
    Is that a knob I spy?
    The book is a liar
    This is one nasty guy

    Route finding 101
    There's Jefferson
    Rocky President
    Cold politician

    Snap, crackle, pop
    A pole in two
    A crampon detoothed
    Fix and push, and push

    Adams, you are next
    One footless waits
    One driven conquers
    Sunlight fades

    Gray knob greets
    Majestic colors
    Dying wind
    Dropping down

    The longest trail
    Some lights ahead
    Hellos and highs
    Valley floor ahead

    9/10 to go
    Beavers barrier
    Bushwhack to the cadillac
    Sweet relief

    ReplyDelete
  7. outstanding poetry, mein herr. i'd say that captures the essense. as i said earlier, i'm still basking in the glow of that hike. no question it's one of the best i've ever done.

    ReplyDelete