3.25.2007

20070304 - Dodge's Drop


The days are getting longer and the planning is beginning for the first post-equinox (vernal) hike of the 2007 season. As always, I'm open to suggestions from the bleachers, but right now we've got freezing rain and I have a sore throat. Depending on what this does to the snowpack, it really makes me think about Hillman's again. Post your availability and/or desires here or by email (the UF is doing a good job g-$$$, don't resent her for securing your network!).

I'd like to point out that the current forecast for Saturday (as of 6am, Thursday) is for bright sunny skies.

Update 3/24, 6:40pm: Holy Crap! I didn't do Hillman's Highway after all. But I DID do something much cooler! More on this in a bit. I'm getting dinner and then putting something together to show the NEW COOL THING!

Ten Hints:

  1. I forgot sunscreen, and that was a problem.
  2. I needed my axe (and had it, so I used it).
  3. I should've sharpened my crampons
  4. I should've had two tools, not a single all-purpose alpine axe
  5. I used every technique I learned on that ice-climbing day at Cathedral Ledge.
  6. I was solo, and No, I didn't know it was going to be that steep... well, I sort of did ... but not really.... well, I figured it might be, but it was hard to tell from below.
  7. It had a greater elevation gain than Hillman's.
  8. It wasn't the Headwall or in Tuck's
  9. Halfway up I passed 3 climbers roping up their harnesses to ice screws for a belay. They watched me go by with my huge pack, strap-on crampons and one alpine axe. On guy said "going for the big ascent?" I thought about it for a sec and said "uh, yeh...." and kept going, trying not to drop ice on their heads.
  10. At the gnarliest points I said to myself "don't look down, don't look down..." and of course I did because it was so fucking steep. Luckily, it was also really fucking cool.
Oh yeh, baby!

Update 9:34pm: See pic posted at right (and link to gallery on left, or click on title) for route. I got up to the cabin and stared at that gully on the left of Hillmans and couldn't resist.

Update 3/25/07, 5pm: Due to some weird problem w/ BlogSpot (who hosts this blog) I lost the Dodge's Drop post.

4 comments:

  1. I know it is early but this weekend coming up....it is GAME ON...

    PM you better be ready to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait'll you see the youtube version! ha! coming soon....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4nIRbkL2SU

    (it'll be up tomorrow - monday - am)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muthaz another piece of fine work...I wish I was there...I like the addition of the soundtrack maybe a CD production can come out with all the songs from the videos....the crampons are sharpened the gear is ready for this weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet! i'll get a post up soon. any ideas for adventure?

    ReplyDelete