7.29.2007

Jay Ultimate Cross Country Challenge

I won't bore you with what this event is (you can read about it here if you don't know). But I will bore you with some details:

  • tMail, the MPM and I ran the marathon (33+ mi) and treadmill ran the 'half' (19+ mi)
  • The mileage was upped to 33+ at the last minute to circumnavigate a new golf course.
  • We all finished, and in better time than we expected - all under 9 hours.
  • Treadmill kicked major ass, finishing 6th among women under 40.
  • Race results are posted [Link].
  • Amazingly, we all ended up finishing within a 20min window, and frequently ran together in pairs, all three or solo.
  • All day today (Sunday, the day after), I've been having flashbacks of mud, water, rocks, woods, bugs and more mud. I keep revisiting parts of it in my mind.... different parts each time.
  • g-$$$, l-$$$ and e-$$$ spent the weekend with us. l-$$$ cooked some much needed pizzas for saturday night (post race). The leftovers were consumed for breakfast. g-$$$, by some logistical miracle, kept showing up at spots along the route and offering great words of encouragement. Seeing his smiling face on a bridge overlooking a brook was a blessing!
Heard it on the Jay Ultimate XC Challenge Marathon:
  • "I could eat Evan. I'd just walk up to him and say 'Hi...'." (tMail, at mile 24)
  • "Treadmill's going to destroy this road." (MPM on a stretch of painful dirt road)
  • "Actually, I could use some duct tape." (mz, trying to bandage his pinkie toe)
  • "tMail, at mile 25 I'm going to be hunting you with a big black dildo." (mz, trying to invoke a spirit of competition, but only making everyone feel embarassed.)
  • "F***ing c**k-s**ing mud f**k f**ker c**t mud sh*t f**k...". (everyone, at some point)
  • "This is totally F***ing Retarded". (mz, climbing the power right-of-way after station #6 blueberry hill)
  • "Don't be a F***ing Pussy***". (tMail to himself - the mental game in action!)
  • "So basically what is left is the Franconia Ridge Traverse" (tMail, leaving the station #6, attempt to rationalize the fact that we only had 9 miles to go.)
  • "Daniel [the race director] said it takes 90 minutes to get to the next Aid station we better get a F***ing move on it if we want to make the cut off...". G-$$$ adds "... get going you can do it!" We all panic and leave - not realizing we'd already made the cutoff.
  • "What is so funny??" (MPM to tMail)
  • "I don't know, I think I am losing it" (tMail to MPM)
  • "I am afraid to sit down and put my socks on" (mz at Station 6)
  • "That girl with the sign Free Sex, I should tell her I can't even get it up"
  • "Your friend Dan is a crazy F***ing Bastard"
  • "I am back from the dead"
  • "Mutha, what IS thunder?" (tMail)
  • "There's something REALLY retarded about doing this." (mz)
  • "Fucking cramps..." (and in my head thinking "I shouldn't be getting passed by that fucking guy..") (PM)
  • "I'm never doing this fucking race again. This is bullshit. Going over sharp rocks when your legs are wasted. I'm never doing this race again." (some old guy in river)
  • "I kind of lost it there, I need to pull it together." (same old guy, 5 min later when exiting river)
  • "How the fuck do we get down that? You want to try going down the bank a bit?" (mz)
  • "Fuck it." (PM, replying to mz's question)
  • "She's from Boston. I'm gonna' see her out sometime." (tMail, referring to 'Free Hugs' chick)
  • "ugh, ahhhhh, ugh, huuuuuuuu, huuuuuu, huuuuu, huuuuu..." The old guy passing TM and PM grunting with each step... not sure how to spell that.
  • "Only love
    Can make it rain
    The way the beach
    Is kissed by the sea.
    Love, Reign o'er me.
    Love, Reign o'er me,
    Rain on me.
    Only love
    Can bring the rain
    That makes you yearn to the sky.
    Only love
    Can bring the rain..."
    (PM singing (completely alone in the woods) upon the rain)
  • "Fuckin'..." (mz, mostly when Evan was present!)
  • "Did you hear me last night? I was pissing and then I woke up in the corner of the bathroom in the fetal position." (tMail)
  • "I think I have another 10 miles in me" (mz, after finish)
Update: tMail & the PM both contributed a bunch of quotes, praise Allah.
Update: Video now on YouTube [Link]

8 comments:

  1. Today I feel 100% better...I slept for over 8 hours legs elevated all night...I did the message machine for 30 minutes on each leg.

    And I will admit this:

    I did say on the Jay Ultimate XC Challenge Marathon, "I am so hungry I could eat Evan"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again..chapeau to you boys and girl for a feat to be most proud of. I have forwarded the poor excuses I took for pictures to M-Z for hosting and posting.

    I am seriously considering the half-challenge next year but would more in favor of doing an actual Adventure Race. We're almost at the point we could even field two teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G-$$$ I was telling MZ I can't get 50 miles out of my head I think I can do 50. I broke it down like this we did 33 so two more to 35 then another 5 for 40 then 10 for 50...

    Adventure race sounds good as well...


    G-$$$ Regarding Mt. Marcy we are taking the approach which I think you suggested is summit via the Van Hovenburg Trail we are also going to hit Mt. Skylight and then descend vai Elk Lak Marcy Trail should be around 19 miles big day but I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50's not out of the question. When I said I had another 10 in me at the finish I was serious. Now the next time I might not be so sure, but it gave a moment when I realized that 50 is not a fantasy... and none of that 50k stuff, either. I'm talking 50 goddamn-red-white-and-blue-freakin' good old American miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MZ here are some lines...

    "This is totally F***ing Retarded"

    I said this to myself so I don't know if this counts..."Don't be a F***ing Pussy***"

    Leaving the 2nd Drop Aid Station the three of us were together and we said, "So basically what is left is the Franconia Ridge Traverse" that was with roughly 9 miles to go

    Leaving another aid station..."Dan (the race director) said it takes 90 minutes to get to the next Aid station we better get a F***ing move on it if we want to make the cut off...G-$$$ adds get going you can do it" We all panic and leave.

    MPM to Tmail..."What is so funny" Tmail to MPM "I don't know, I think I am losing it"

    ReplyDelete
  6. The high from Saturday continues..

    TM - "Mutha, what IS thunder?"

    MZ - "There's something REALLY retarded about doing this."

    PM - "Fucking cramps..." (and in my head thinking "I shouldn't be getting passed by that fucking guy..")

    The old guy in the river - "I'm never doing this fucking race again. This is bullshit. Going over sharp rocks when yuor legs are wasted. I'm never doing thsi race again." 5 mins later when exiting the river - "I kind of lost it there, I need to pull it together."

    MZ - "How the fuck do we get down that? You want to try going down the bank a bit?" Response from PM - "Fuck it."

    TM - "She's from Boston. I'm gonna' see her out sometime."

    The old guy passing TM and PM grunting with each step... not sure how to dictate that but it was something like "ugh, ahhhhh, ugh, huuuuuuuu, huuuuuu, huuuuu, huuuuu..."

    PM singing (completely alone in the woods) upon the rain -
    "Only love
    Can make it rain
    The way the beach
    Is kissed by the sea.

    Love, Reign o'er me.
    Love, Reign o'er me,
    Rain on me.

    Only love
    Can bring the rain
    That makes you yearn to the sky.
    Only love
    Can bring the rain..."

    MZ - "Fuckin'..." (mostly when Evan was present!)

    TM - "Did you hear me last night? I was pissing and then I woke up in the corner of the bathroom."

    No worries about the shower door either. The rental guy said it was probably wiggling loose prior to our arrival and that he will patch the marks on the wall. The owner has been notified and is cool with it! It was crazy - the rental guy was apologizing to me for the door falling (what the fuck?!) I told him we'll be back next year!

    The sick part of it all is that I can't come down and can only think of what's next. The legs are starting to feel normal. I skated last night and plan on doing some more bike stuff before getting back on the trails but I can't seem to think that 10 miles is a short warm up and anything under 20 maybe just a training poke. What the fuck is wrong with my head?

    50 miles? Well, okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you, PM. To think that Franconia Ridge has become a sprint exercise.... Oh what have I done to my head?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good points so what is a work out now? Running through barbed wire, jumping in quick sand...I go run a pussy ass 5 miles and I am like what the F....Well I have a 20 mile poke tomorrow I guess that should satisfy my soul for a couple of hours. Legs are back, energy is at 75%...the will to do 50 is eating at my soul I am going to do it at some point...

    tmail

    ReplyDelete